Tests in Confirmation Prep?

I know this idea may seem anathema for evangelization and making Confirmation Prep not feel like a class but hear me out. I have a large demographic of kids who are supposed to have received a certain level of Catechesis by the time they enter into our Confirmation Prep program (7th-8th Grade). I am starting to be convicted about the lack of accountability in our current program. The only 'test' we have is the final interview a month or two before the sacrament. When I was a teen in a protestant youth group we had a workbook called "the Blue Book" that essentially took youth through the basics of Christianity. I am looking to do something like that to cultivate a little more intentionality.
Does anyone use a test to either measure where teens are at in their knowledge or to keep your ministry accountable for imparting the faith throughout the program? If anyone has examples I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Hi! I know exactly where you are coming from and i have felt the same struggles- and am working and (mor eimportantly) PRAYING for a change in attitudes and cultures. I don't use formal tests, but i do an entrance interview with teens when they begin the Prep and an exit interview 2 years later, about 2 months before the Sacrament. In addition, i have developed a google form that I send via email to sponsors as a way to check in. Sponsors tend to be pretty honest about how often they communicate, what struggles they have faced, etc. It gives me some more "data" so that I know what teens to check in on more intentionally, or to ask my core team to help me address.

I do make it known to teens that there are basic things that I expect them to know by the time of the exit interview and I give them a study guide to help them find those answers.

I don't know that this is the perfect approach. My pastor says it's a bit intense - but i do feel a sense of responsibility for making sure that they know what they are receiving and that they fully support it and are committed to being faithful disciples.